by Bill Meyer

"Bringing out the best in people through hard work, creativity, and laughter makes for a more confident and optimistic society." - Bill Meyer

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Get PUMPED!!!!

Quick laugh for all of you today:

Sunday was the first day of the new adult soccer league at the Virginia Beach Field House, where my fiancée and I work with the Legends Softball Club on their pre-season strength and conditioning. I arrive about 30 minutes early and notice that the parking lot is PACKED. I had already spoken to Lauren earlier in the day and she had informed of how busy the place was today due to the new season.

So I drive up and am forced to park a good hike away from the front doors of the building, no big deal at all, I actually prefer it that way in most cases. Bee lining to the entrance, I would estimate that I passed by 50 parked cars on the way to the door, with this being the scene of the humorous story of the day.

While walking this specific 60 second walk, I passed by 3 parked cars where the driver had all windows up, doors closed, and music PUMPING at full volume, with the look of pure focus and determination flooding through their faces. I found this to be such a true example of men trying to find that "locker room" feeling again, but it also brought me a little smile and a slight chuckle as it reminded me of my music jamming drives to the clubs back in Austin on nights that I was DJing.  Here were the selections that day, and I've also added my take on each one.....

1st Car- "Not Afraid" - Eminem - Obvious choice before preparing for athletic battle. Eminem  repetitively convince you that even as a 40-something year old man, your knees hamstrings ARE still good enough to sprint relentlessly up and down a field without the need to properly warm-up and then wonder why you spend the following 72 hours in sheer pain and agony. Score - 8 out of 10 on the PUMP UP SCALE


2nd Car - "Teach Me How To Dougie" - Cali Swag District - Strange to me, as it seems to be more of a song to pretend you're walking in slow motion down a city block crowded with people that you think you know, simultaneously pointing and nodding your head and hoping the recipient responds or even simply knows who you are; because we all well know that not having a response to the "point and nod" is quite possibly the most embarrassing public act ever. Score - 4 out of 10 on the PUMP UP SCALE



3rd Car - Some type of Chicano Reggae-ton song that unfortunately goes unrecognizable. I almost cannot comment on this whatsoever as it's not a genre I know too much about, however, the tone, instruments and tempo of this particular selection did not scream out "Get out there and kick some A**!!" Score - 2 out of 10 on the PUMP UP SCALE

Now I love music, and most of the time I require it during my workouts, but the essence of "pump up" music  simply brings out the best in people.

What is your choice of "Pump Up" Music??

Finish With Action,
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment