by Bill Meyer

"Bringing out the best in people through hard work, creativity, and laughter makes for a more confident and optimistic society." - Bill Meyer

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My "Top 5 of 2011" - #4

#4 - Compete in my first Kettlebell Competition

Since earlier this year, I have finally found my type of competition. Let's get this straight, I love all types of exercise from weightlifting, yoga, and plyometrics, to tai chi, rock climbing, and running hills. Pretty much, if it involves getting my heart rate up and stimulates me mentally, I'm game. When it comes to "competing" though, that's another story. I haven't officially competed in anything since college, and that was 10 years ago. That's where kettlebell sport comes into play.

After 2006, when I broke my tibia, tore both lateral ligaments of my ankle, and ripped a tendon nearly in half from playing soccer, I decided that if I wanted to continue being as active as I like to be and as mobile of a coach that I enjoy being, I had to find something that was a little less risky on my body. The beautiful thing about kettlebell sport is that my success (or failure) is solely dependent upon me. Have I put the work in to be prepared for my event? Is my technique where it needs to be? Is my nutrition in line with performing at my maximum level? All of these questions can only be answered by me, and there's a satisfying feeling in knowing that.

Here are the 2 extremes that I'm talking about when it comes to protecting my body and remaining mentally stimulated throughout exercise for the remainder of my life:

 1) Soccer is fantastic, I love it. I love playing a little pick up game, and I love watching it on tv or live at a stadium. The issue with soccer is that while it's mentally and physically stimulating to me, I am putting my health, livelihood, and mobility in the hands of several other people on the field, and with my past experiences, that is something that I will always have in the back of my head. I have attempted to play aggressively a handful of times since then, and always found that I play hesitant and a great deal more friendly than usual. This doesn't bode well with soccer. I imagine it's similar to driving cautiously on a highway, meaning that those are the people that typically cause the accidents from my experience.

2) Running bores me. Although it's success and failure is similar to kettlebell sport where it's all about me and my preparation, I can't imagine anything less stimulating than running from here to there for 30 - 120 minutes at a time at a somewhat droning pace. Now, my fiancee LOVES to run, and asks me from time to time if I would like to enter a race with her. I accept these invitations simply because I love her and want to share her passion with her to support what type of exercise she has chosen to love.


Kettlebell Sport is the beautiful mixture of both. I am in control, and when it's time to train or compete, my level of focus reaches new heights each day. One of my friends in the kettlebell community said something one day not too long ago that is now etched into my mind during a tough training session:

"You must be able to get comfortable with being uncomfortable."

That statement alone challenges me physically and mentally, how about you? I always preach to my clients that our training program will get them "out of their comfort zone"; and now I have finally found the same thing for me.

Check in tomorrow for my #3 Goal for 2011, and for more information on kettlebell training, hit up the IKFF's website. A great bunch of men and women who are down to earth, friendly, and know how to get the best out of their bodies and minds.

Finish With Action,
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment