by Bill Meyer

"Bringing out the best in people through hard work, creativity, and laughter makes for a more confident and optimistic society." - Bill Meyer

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

What's The Big Rush? BREATHE!!!

Yesterday was what I call a "Work Day" in my kettlebell program. I typically have 3-4 of those per week with the other workouts being mostly mobility, tai chi, or GPP intervals. I love all types of workouts of course as any fitness enthusiast would, however, my "work days" are my favorite.

This particular work day was full of jerk sets to increase my overall work capacity, followed by single arm overhead squats to work lockout and core strength. I had 5 jerk sets of 2min followed by 1min of rest, and started off really well going at a good pace. During my 3rd set, I realized that I was burning out pretty bad for what I considered to be normal. This was definitely abnormal for me. Instead of dropping the weights and feeling frustrated, I held rack position and thought about what I was doing wrong for a few moments. I realized that it wasn't my muscles, or my grip, or my heart rate; but that it was my breath! I was out of it! Thinking purely about technique of the movement skill I was performing, I simply forgot about my anatomical breathing pattern and was basically all over the map of when to inhale and when to exhale.


I tell all of my clients and athletes that the two things to be concerned about most when exercising are technical movements and breathing patterns. Focusing on both of these will keep you at your best always.

Amazingly enough, this small detail did me in for that set, but once I made sure all the small pieces were running smooth, I was back on track and had a great work day.

Here's a quote from John Wooden speaking about teamwork and its similarity to cars:

"It's the little things that make the big things happen. The big engine is not going to work unless the little things are being done properly."

Finish With Action,
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment